Sarah, Plain & Tall
Chapter 1 Story Questions
- Why didn’t Papa sing anymore?
- What does Anna think is the worst thing about Caleb?
- What is the setting of this story?
- Explain why “tears came” to Anna eyes?
- What does Papa think might be a way to remember the old songs?
Chapter 2 Story Questions
- Where does Sarah live? What did you learn about Sarah’s home from her letters?
- How do Anna and Caleb feel about Sarah? Why?
- Who is Seal?
- What did Sarah write at the end of her letter to Jacob in chapter 2?
- What have we learned about Sarah so far? Write a few sentences describing Sarah.
Chapter 3 Story Questions
- “Sarah came in the spring” is the 1st sentence in chapter 3. What do you think Sarah will see in a prairie spring?
- How can you tell that the day in chapter 3 is a special day?
- What did Sarah bring to show Caleb and Anna the sea?
- What was the look that Anna noticed which concerned her?
- What is loneliness?
- How old do you think Anna is? Why?
- Where do you think Seal will live? Why?
Chapter 4 Story Questions
- Who do you think Sarah will love first?
- What was Sarah’s prized collection?
- Caleb wants Sarah to stay. He notices signs and clues that make him think she might stay. What are some of the clues he notices?
- What does “ayuh” mean?
- What singing is there in chapter 4?
- What have we learned about Anna? Write a few sentences describing Anna.
Chapter 5 Story Questions
- Why would Sarah begin to smile?
- What does Jacob find as a dune?
- Why is it important to Caleb that Sarah says “our dune”?
- Write a few sentences describing Caleb.
Chapter 6 Story Questions
- “The days grew longer.” When are the days longer?
- How do Caleb and Anna describe the winter?
- How do those in Maine and on the prairie care for animals in winter?
- What happens in the cow pond?
Chapter 7 Story Questions
- What season is it?
- Who are Matthew and Maggie?
- Why did Sarah’s eyes fill with tears?
- Was Anna right about the chickens? How do you know?
- How does Papa show he likes Sarah?
Chapter 8 Story Questions
- Why has Caleb been worried throughout the book?
- Why do you think Sarah wants to learn how to ride Jack?
- What is Caleb’s reaction to Sarah’s request to learn to ride?
- What does the family do to prepare for the storm?
- What did they see after the storm? How did Anna describe what they saw?
Chapter 9 Story Questions
- What are some of Caleb’s suggestions to keep Sarah with them?
- Why did Sarah kiss them all when she went on her first solo wagon trip to town?
- Anna compares Sarah going to town in the wagon to the day the wagon took her mother away. Compare and contrast the two departures.
- Why does Sarah go to town?
- Why do you think the author used italics for the last two paragraphs?